Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Cognac Cherry Cordials

At every Vietnamese wedding, it is customary to set a bottle of Cognac at the reception dinner table. I am not sure how it started and why we settled on Cognac, but for many wedding seasons now, I have been reaping the rewards of this very festive tradition.

The idea came to me the other idea regarding a treat that would mirror the flavorings of the cognac. I decided on cherry cordials. For something I have never really been that fond of, I have been really keen on making them for quite some time, and this provided the perfect excuse.

I am also trying to be fair... Before I place cherry cordials on my official list of dislikes, I have decided to make them for myself. And who knows, maybe I might actually really like them after all and our guest might end up seeing these at the dessert buffet. So here we go...

First, I soaked the cherries in cognac. (Not a bad start)
After a day to properly marinate, I carefully drained the cherries
Then I heated my fondant
Dipped my cherries in the fondant and let them set
I then dipped them twice in chocolate for good measure
Now comes the hard part, the waiting...

In order for the flavors to meld, these cordials will need a few days to weeks to mingle and liquefy. I will post an updated picture once the cordials are ready.

(Please excuse my iphone pictures. I am a horrible picture taker. I generally leave that to Will.)

No comments :

Post a Comment